Bedfordshire Psychosexual Service
Supporting Safe Sex in Beds
The Psychosexual Service is for individuals or couples aged 16 years and over and living in Bedfordshire. It is commissioned by Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire councils and is currently available at:
- Address: Kings Brook. St Johns Street, Bedford, MK42 0AH.
- Address: Dunstable Priory, Church Street Dunstable, LU6 3SU
Individuals or couples wishing to use this service must be referred by a health or social care professional. Self-referrals for particular individuals may be possible on discussion with the team (please see contact details below.).
What to expect:
- The individual or couple will be seen by a psychosexual counsellor or psychosexual therapist.
- On receipt of the signed “opt-in” form, an assessment of social, physical and relationship history is arranged and the focus of work agreed.
- A contract of six, 50 minute appointments, over a six month period may be agreed with the individual or couple. In certain circumstances this may need to be extended to a second contract.
- At the end of therapy a brief summary letter is sent to the referrer by agreement with the individual or couple, who are also offered a copy.
- The leaflet - Psychosexual Counselling - provides more information on the service.
- Referral is from a health or social care professional. For certain conditions investigations for underlying organic causes should be carried out by the GP/consultant prior to referral. See referral guidelines for suggested pre-referral screen, which can be obtained by contacting the service by phone or email - see below for contact details.
- In exceptional circumstances self-referral may be possible upon discussion with the team.
- If you are a professional wishing to refer, please click here.
Referral criteria includes:
- Current sexual dysfunction within relationships
- previous sexual abuse/assault
- initial exploration of gender dysphoria and
- issues around sexuality.
Future developments currently being considered:
To offer a therapeutic intervention for Fraser competent vulnerable under 16’s.
Dr Jean Perman
Psychosexual Counselling Clinical Lead
D.Prof, MSc, HV, RGN, MBACP Senior Accred Consellor/Psychotherapist
Tel: 01234 244126 (9am - 2.00pm).
Please email referrals to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ring to leave a message and the counsellor will call you back.